Announcing Launch of South Asians for America!
May 6 @ 8:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Throughout the 2020 Election cycle, we had a collective, laser-like focus on electing President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris, and ensuring that they would have Democratic majorities to enact their Build Back Better agenda. In the process of this effort, our South Asian community became engaged in politics in an unprecedented manner. Together, we made hundreds of thousands of phone calls to voters in swing states, sent nearly as many postcards, and voted like our futures depended on it, because they did.
When reflecting on our organizing efforts, there was a clear need for a permanent organizing presence within the South Asian community, and to have an organization dedicated to strengthening our political empowerment.
We are thrilled to announce the news that South Asians for Biden is becoming South Asians for America, a 501(c)(4) organization. Learn more about SAFA here.
SAFA’s mission is to educate, advocate, engage, and mobilize the South Asian Democratic community in the United States at the local, state, and federal levels. The organization aims to increase the civic engagement, political participation, and network of South Asians.
Our organization is the first of its kind focused on this unique and diverse voting bloc, with diaspora communities drawing their heritage from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bhutan, and the Maldives, with diverse faith traditions, languages, and paths to immigration to the United States.
We will have special guests, including:
• Gold Star parent Khizr Khan,
• Venerated attorney Neal Katyal,
• Girls Who Code Founder & CEO Reshma Saujani,
• Actress and singer featured in Broadway’s Hamilton Arianna Afsar,
• Former Miss America Nina Davuluri,
• Actor Farhan Tahir,
• Actor, writer, producer, and director Fawzia Mirza,
• U.S. Representative Raja Krishnamoorthy,
• Virginia State Senator Ghazala Hashmi,
• Former candidate for PA Auditor General Nina Ahmad,
• Vermont State Senator Kesha Ram,
• DNC AAPI Caucus Chair Bel Leong Hong,
• Founder and Chairman of AAPI Victory Fund Shekar Narasimhan
• SAAVE TX Founder Chanda Parbhoo,
• NJ Young Democrats South Asian Caucus Co-Chair Hira Shaikh, and
• Board Chair of Asian Americans Advancing Justice – Atlanta Sonjui Kumar